Commonly known as UNCG, the University of North Carolina at Greensboro is a public coeducational and Research university in Greensboro, North Carolina. The campus has grown to include 30 residence halls and 27 academic buildings on over 250 acres. Below is a list of 10 top buildings at the institution.
1. Coleman Building
The Mary Channing Coleman Building, commonly known as the Coleman building was officially opened in 1989. The building houses the Center for Women’s Health and Wellness, the School of Dance, Department of Kinesiology, and the Department of Public Health Education.
2. Sullivan Science Building
Opened in 2003, this building was originally called the Science Building. It was designed by O’Brien/Atkins Associates of Durham, North Carolina, and Ellenzweig Associates of Cambridge, Massachusetts. The building was renamed on April 10, 2008, in honor of Patricia A. Sullivan. The building houses the Chemistry and Biochemistry Department.
3. South Spencer Residence Hall
The Spencer Residence Hall consists of two connecting buildings: the North Spencer Residence Hall, opened in 1904, and South Spencer Residence Hall, opened in 1907. The basement of the building housed the campus post office between 1949 and 1953. The building was named in honor of Cornelia Phillips Spencer.
4. Anna M. Gove Student Health Center
The Anna M. Gove Student Health Center offers medical, psychological, and preventative health services for students and staff at UNCG. The building was opened in 1953 and named in honor of Dr. Anna M. Gove (campus physician from 1893 to 1937) a year later. The building underwent renovations that included expansions in 2006.
5. Jackson Library
Designed by Northrup O’Brien of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, the Jackson Library was opened in 1950. The additional tower on the building was opened in 1973. Jackson Library is named in honor of Walter Clinton Jackson (professor, author, and chancellor from 1934 – 1950).
6. Elliott University Center
The Elliot University Center accommodates the Spartan Market, Chick-Fil-A, Barnes and Noble Cafe, and the Food Court. The Elliott University Center opened its doors in 1953 and was later expanded and renovated in 1968. The building is named in honor of Harriet Wiseman Elliott, who came to the College as a history and political science professor.
7. Moran Commons and Plaza
The Moran Commons and Plaza hosts the Student Mail Services, UNCG Sustainability Office and the SpartanCard Center. The complex was built over a span of thirty-five years. The building is also home to the Spencer Dining Hall, West (later Spartan) Dining Hall, South Dining Hall, and North Dining Hall.
8. Mossman Administration Building
The Mossman Administration Building that was opened in 1975 currently hosts the UNCG Financial Aid Office and the Cashiers and Student Accounts Office. The Building was designed by William F. Freeman Associates of High Point, North Carolina. The building was named in honor of Mereb Ethna Mossman in 1977.
9. Kaplan Commons
Located on the west lawn of Elliott University Center, The Kaplan Commons which was created in 2007 and in honor of Randall Kaplan, the CEO of Capsule Group LLC and on the Board of Trustees of UNCG. There are two sculptures at the building: Mohawk and The Lion’s Roar that are located at a central place where two walkways converge.
10. Maud Gatewood Studio Arts Building
The Gatewood Studio Arts Building was opened in 2006 in honor of Maud Florence Gatewood who was a nationally recognized artist that graduated from the institution in 1954. The Gatewood Studio Arts Building is home to the Gatewood Gallery.
These are not the only buildings that are available at the institution. There are a lot more unique and greatly-designed buildings at UNCG. More information about the buildings at UNCG can be gotten from the institution’s website.